Culture Ireland offers support to Irish professional artists, arts organisations and international presenters to present work by Irish artists at significant international venues and festivals.
In supporting an event, Culture Ireland traditionally offers grant funding towards costs which relate directly to the international presentation of the event, i.e. travel and travel related costs such as transport, freight, accommodation and subsistence.
In response to the current Irish Government travel guidelines and the ongoing uncertain situation regarding international travel into 2021, Culture Ireland is now also accepting applications from Irish artists and Irish or International arts organisations for the presentation of work online to International audiences. In order for an application to be considered, the applicant must have an International partner or be an International presenter who will provide a fee to the artist and assist with promotion and presentation costs.
Costs which will be considered by Culture Ireland include, but may not be limited to, technical and recording costs, venue hire, equipment hire, post-production costs and promotion services. A detailed breakdown of costs should be attached as a separate document when submitting the application.
Culture Ireland considers applications for all forms of the arts as defined in the Arts Act 2003: “arts means any creative or interpretative expression (whether traditional or contemporary) in whatever form, and includes, in particular, visual arts, theatre, literature, music, dance, opera, film, circus and architecture, and includes any medium when used for those purposes”.
Basic Eligibility Requirements:
1. Application must be in respect of an Irish professional artist/s or arts organisation
2. Application must be in respect of an art form defined under the Arts Act 2003
3. Only international events are supported (i.e., outside the island of Ireland)
4. The event must be accessible to an open public audience and fees must be payable to the artist/s or arts organisation
5. For physical events funding support is limited to travel and travel related costs. For online events technical and recording costs, venue hire, equipment hire, post-production costs and promotion services will be considered
6. Grants are only payable to the person/organisation named on the initial application
Applications deemed eligible are assessed in line with the following criteria:
1. Artistic quality of work and track record of artist/s or arts organisation
2. Financial and operational viability of the event (including fees and level of support from presenter/venue/other partners)
3. Profile of international venue/festival
4. Proven capacity of applicant, artist/s or arts organisation to present work internationally
5. Wider promotional and media impact
What does Culture Ireland mean by artistic quality? Artistic quality can be defined as work that is ambitious, excellent and original, connects to audiences and has been presented nationally to critical acclaim. It should be noted that the assessment of the artistic quality of the proposed work is made using knowledge, experience and specialist advice.
Further information on how applications are assessed is available here
Examples of eligible applications include:
• Theatre, circus and dance performances by professional companies
• Film-makers presenting films at key international film festivals
• Performances by professional or professionally-led musicians and ensembles
• Visual artists/galleries exhibiting at internationally recognised art fairs/galleries
• Readings by writers/poets in English or Irish or otherwise at international literary festivals
Please note that because of the competitive nature and context of each grant round, limited funding and a large number of applicants, eligibility and compliance with criteria for assessment alone do not guarantee that you will receive grant funding.
Examples of ineligible applications include:
• Events which have already taken place
• Research, opportunities, study or professional training
• Production Costs
• Amateur events
• Work by non-professional artists
• Events of a competitive nature
If you have any queries about the criteria listed above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org